Project Management in Development (PMD Pro) is a specialised certification scheme for Project Managers working in the development sector. The scheme is aligned with existing internationally recognized project management standards and includes components specific to the NGO sector. This certification is seen as an important benchmark for continuous improvement. The scheme was developed by APMG-International in partnership with Project Management for NGOs (PM4NGOs), an organization dedicated to optimizing international project investments and improving professional project management skills in the development sector.
Benefits to Individuals
- Understand and learn to implement a range of tools and techniques to be used for managing projects and workloads.
Apply knowledge which is relevant to the environment and conditions in which it is utilized.
- Use systems used in international, well-known non-government organizations which have helped to increase productivity in developing sectors.
- Enhance specialist skills such as planning and implementation by adding best practices.
- Be part of the growing number of project management professionals in developing countries and build the capacity of project management skills for organisations.
Benefits to Organisations
- Improve quality and communication through an organization-wide common language.
- Reduce cost.
- Receive funding through demonstration of the structure behind the management approach and methods of reducing costs resulting in less dependency on charitable donations.
- Maximize the value of project management investments
- Use international best practices to encourage efficiency of projects in the non-profit sector and build communities of professional project managers in developing countries.
PMD Pro training and certification is designed to equip project managers and team members working on development projects with valuable techniques and approaches relevant to the environment and conditions in which they operate.
The scheme currently consists of two levels:
PMD Pro Level 1
- Online exam multiple choice
- 75 questions
- 49 questions correctly answered required to pass (out of 75 available) – 65%
- 60 minutes duration
- Results are given straight away after completing the online examination
PMD Pro Level 2
Level 2 consists of a contextualised exam specific to the development sector.
- Project Management for Development Professionals Contextualised Exam
This tests your knowledge of topics specific to the NGO Sector. The online exam consists of 75 multiple choice questions and you will need to achieve 65% to pass.
Though not mandatory, it is advised that you can broaden your knowledge of project management either with the Project Management Institute’s (‘PMI’s’) Certified Associate of Project Management (‘CAPM’) certificate, IPMA-D or the PRINCE2 Foundation certification before proceeding to PMD Pro Level 3.
PMD Pro Level 3
Level 3 is still to be developed. It comprises an industry-recognised project management certification plus the contextualised components from Level 2 and an assessment of experience, which focuses on evidence that you are able to apply your project management knowledge effectively.